Alzheimer’s / Dementia Care
Sunny Rose Glen understands the importance of providing compassionate care to those individuals suffering from dementia related illnesses such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease. Caring for these residents requires a very special heart. We are dedicated to selecting only those staff members that have the right motivation to care for our residents. Once selected, our staff members participate in special, comprehensive and ongoing training; key elements in providing confident and competent care for your loved one.
The Glen University Senior Care Training Program includes many topics such as Dining with Dementia, Bathing without a Battle, Conductorcize for the Mind, Body and Soul, Medications and their Effects, and The Freedom of Sexual Expression. All of which play a vital role in the daily care and supervision of someone with memory impairment. At Sunny Rose Glen our motto is: Know Thy Resident and you will BOTH have a good day!
We welcome you to call or come by and ask us any questions you have about how to be successful at home when helping someone that you may be caring for with memory loss or dementia.
Here are a few helpful tips:
- Speak slow, clear and with a pleasant voice. Use eye contact.
- Never Argue. You will both lose.
- Try not to 'reason'. Explanations can cause frustration.
- Focus on their feelings, not their actions.
- Do not take it personal (Yes this is hard but do TRY).
- Do not question their memory. For example, "You use to be great with numbers. How many home runs did Hank Aaron hit?"
- Get some fresh air. 30 minutes a day is a good start.
- Limit naps to mid afternoon hours only to help prevent sundowning and late night confusion.
- You are NOT ALONE. Seek support from friends, family, Alzheimer's Assocation, Adult Day Care and Sunny Rose Glen of course.
- Did you take time for YOU today? Respite Care is available in many locations including Sunny Rose Glen
We are happy to provide purposeful and therapeutic programs to our residents in a beautiful, secured environment designed especially with our residents’ needs in mind. Working together with our residents, families, physicians and staff, we strive to understand and address challenging behaviors, while maximizing each resident’s skills and independence.
Our Memory Care neighborhood has 21 studio apartments that is secured. These apartments can be leased as a private or companion apartment. Each studio has built-in closets, cabinets and private bathrooms with safe, no-threshold showers. They also have 24-hour emergency call systems with pull-chords in the bedroom area and bathroom. Our Resident Associates are available to help with all activities of daily living, assist with medications and ensure family communications. We invite you to come by Sunny Rose Glen and see what a difference our Memory Care community and exceptional staff has to offer.